Blog dedicado a estudiantes de traducción, especialmente de la Universidad de la República, que ofrece material e información.
Blog dedicated to translation students, especially to those of the University of the Republic, offering material and information.
del 14 de Mayo al 20 de Junio - 10 a 12 horas - Lunes y Miércoles
A cargo de la Dra. Valeria Martinez Hagopian
LEGAL ENGLISH PROGRAM-
INTRODUCTION- MODULE 1 - THE PRACTICE OF LAW-
1.1- LEGAL SYSTEM.
- Legal System (the concept of Common-Law and Civil Law).
- Types of Law (study of the concepts of Directives, Ordinances, Statutes, Regulations) and study of the vocabulary referred to what laws say (set forth, stipulate, specify, determine, lay down, prescribe).
- Study of the concepts of the different Law Fields: Family Law, Civil Law (Contractual and Tort liability), Contentious-Administrative Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law, Labour Law, Procedural Law, and Commercial Law.
1.2- PERSONS IN COURT.
- Persons in Court (study of the names of the different persons who work in Courts: Judge, Jury, Bailiff, Claimant, Defendant, Respondent, Clerk, Advocate, Appellant, Expert Witness).
- Types of Courts (study the competence of UK Courts: Magistrates´ Court, Courts of Appeal, High Court of Justice, Crown Court, High Court, Juvenile Court, Lower Court, Small-claims Court and Tribunals). Comparison of the British and Uruguayan Judicial Systems.
MODULE 2 – DOCUMENTS IN COURT –
2.1- DOCUMENTS IN COURT - Documents in court (study of the concepts of Affidavit, Answer, Brief, Complaint, Injunction, Motion, Notice, Pleading, Writ).
- Study of the verbs related to filing documents in Courts (draft, issue, file, serve, submit). Language focus: collocations with the verb “file”.
- Study of special adjectives (binding, implied, valid, enforceable).
MODULE 3 - THE PRACTICE OF LAW-
3.1- VOCABULARY RELATED TO LAWYERS´ ACTIVITY.
- Study of the verbs related to the lawyers´ activity (study of the verbs advise, draft, litigate, practise, represent, research). Language focus: state the difference between “practise” as a verb and “practice” as a noun.
- Study of the different acts a lawyer can perform in Court (lodging a lawsuit, answering a lawsuit, legal standing, taking exception to a defense, attending hearings, closing an argument, appealling).
- Study of the means of proof (attendance of witness, and verbs related to witnesses, documentary evidence, judicial examination, expert evidence). Study of the words related to evidence. Focus on the ways of questioning witnesses (direct and cross-examination).
- Study of the most common verbs that appear in legal texts (assist, commence, comprehend, deem, desist, endeavour, enquire, ensure, evince, inform, intimate, peruse, possess, receive, retain).
3.2- ACTS THAT JUDGES PERFORM IN COURT.
- Study of the concept of the act Judges perform: Ruling and its synonyms (decree, court order, ruling, etc). Types of rulings (Interlocutory order, final decision and court order and rulings in the Criminal Process). Term “enforceable” as a feature of rulings.
- Verbs related to Rulings (render judgment - overturn and confirm and their synonyms).
- Study of the concept of costs and solicitor´s bill of costs.
- Study of the vocabulary related to what the Court says.
- Study of the vocabulary related to hearings´ deferrals.
- Study of legal texts that contain the vocabulary learned in class.
3.3- LEGAL CORRESPONDENCE AND EXPLANATIONS AND CLARIFICATIONS.
- Legal correspondence- Study of the ways of writing legal letters. Types of legal letters (letters of advice and letters addressed to colleagues).
- Study of the main opening and closing sentences.
- Giving explanations and clarifying legal concepts and institutions (study of the most common words and phrases used to explain legal terms and to clarify legal concepts in a legal context).
3.4- USEFUL EXPRESSIONS FOR ORAL COMMUNICATION-
- Expressing opinion and giving oral presentations.
- Contrasting information (study of the expressions “as opposed to”, “unlike”, “in contrast to”).
- Practice of vocabulary related to both topics.
4- PRACTICE OF VOCABULARY LEARNED IN PREVIOUS CLASSES.
Practise of vocabulary learned in classes one to seven.
5- ORAL CLASSES (two): In the oral classes participants will practise the terms acquired during the theoretical classes, by the discussion and study of cases that will be brought to them.
Costo de la Matrícula:
Socios con menos de 5 años de ejercicio $ 2.600
Socios con mas de 5 años de ejercicio $ 3.200
No Socios $ 5.000
* el pago puede efectuarse mediante tarjeta de crédito
Inscripciones Abiertas - Cupos Limitados - Se expedirá Certificado